European Session of Senior Armament Officials (SERA)
The SERA is a session traditionally based around 4 weeks of training, 2 weeks in France and 2 weeks each organised by 2 European countries; in this case, for the year 2023, Estonia and Romania.
- To provide auditors with a better understanding of current European defence issues, particularly from the point of view of the armaments component and the defence economy.
- To promote joint European reflection through the sharing of experiences between auditors.
- Stimulate open-mindedness thanks to the diversity of recruitment and the variety of activities on offer.
- high-level civilian and military officials working in national defence procurement departments or in administrations involved in armaments issues, particularly from a European perspective;
- senior officers in the armed forces, in operational functions or functions related to the definition of military requirements and planning ;
- senior managers of companies directly involved in the supply of defence equipment or in the development and research of security and defence-related technologies.
Admission: invitations are sent each year to the Directors General of Armament (transmission of an application file) in the autumn of year n-1.
Prerequisites : fluency in English and solid experience in the armaments sector
Each year, a central study theme is determined, based on current European and international armaments issues, including their cooperation dimension. The general theme of SERA34 is: "Recent evolutions in the geopolitical environment in Europe: how to promptly and effectively reinforce European Defence capabilities?
The training cycle is structured around :
- 50 % conference-debates, which address a number of issues relating to the defence industry and economy at European level, the Common Security and Defence Policy and the security and equipment of forces.
- 30 % of visits involving military, industrial and research sites, with the aim of presenting a representative sample of the fabric that makes up the DTIB.
- 20 % of committee work, which is an opportunity for auditors to exchange views, discuss and deepen their reflection on common subjects and issues.
- SERA 32 : European defence and exports within a shifting world order: how to proceed to build a strong EDTIB?
- SERA 33 : "European strategic autonomy" vs. Nation first"_How to proceed in favour of European defence industry?
- SERA 34 : Recent evolutions in the geopolitical environment in Europe : how to promptly and effectively reinforce European defence capabilities?
The SERA 34 - 2023
The session will take place from March to June 2023, during 4 weeks organised respectively in France (opening and closing weeks) and in two other member countries of the session (1 week in each host country). The 34e SERA will take place in 2023 with the following programme:
- 20 to 24 March 2023, France
- 17 to 21 April 2023, Estonia
- 22 to 26 May 2023, Romania
- 19 to 23 June 2023, France